Monday, November 30, 2015

My family needs better upper body strength

Ping says this one is her favorite so far.

The whining I've endured while photographing my quilts is hilarious.  If I'm helping a friend photograph a quilt, I suffer in silence.  Yes, my arms are like limp noodles when I'm done but I dutifully stand there in pain until it's done.  Buck up family....I'm not stopping the entering of contests because you can't hang....    I can see now...I'm going to have to put my family on an upper body exercise program.

But...on a more important note... I FINISHED MY LAST DEADLINE!  Death Star is officially done! Prepare yourself to be inundated with gratuitous quilt photos...  Get your popcorn and beverage, the show starts now...




I've used quite of few of these during the quilting of this quilt...

I love quilting on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen Sit down model.



I wound up quilting the circles on my Bernina 440.  Don't get me wrong...I've said you  won't be able to pry my Bernina from my cold dead kung fu grip (unless you're making me quilt on it...).  Once I got the Sweet 16, I created the perfect set up for quilting.

And then there was the squaring up...  This is one of those parts I dislike.... it's hard to ensure you're getting it really square.  This part becomes really tedious...



But it gets done and then it's on to the binding.  I love the binding.  It was the only thing I liked to do by hand but now a days I machine it on.  I like the look just as much.



I put a LOT of quilting on this one.




I enjoy the design decisions you have to make.  It can be a little daunting...you want it to make sense where it's placed on the quilt.  I thought about this part almost as much as the overall design.





And finally....it's done.  This is the Death Star bc.  BC is before crinkle.  I'm always a little apprehensive that something will go terribly wrong in the washing machine...


It washed up beautifully and then...it's Death Star ac.  After crinkle.


Here's the sassy back of the quilt:


I added a little flair to the binding in two spots:




So that's my story today.  Finished a quilt.  It was a great day.  It's submitted to QuiltCon 2016 for the contest....fingers crossed it's selected!!

I'm linking up with Judy today at Patchwork Times - check it out!  On Tuesday I'm linking up with Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts.

And on Wednesday I linked up with Let's Bee Social

Check these blogs out...

















10 comments:

  1. Neat quilt! I love the quilting designs on it. Do you machine stitch bindings that go into shows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marti. Yes, I machine stitch the bindings. I think you can get a quality finish with the machine with practice. I used a straight stitch on the last few I did but I have used a specialty stitch (it kind of looks like a feather I think...) most other times.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh- I can totally relate! I took my 13 year old daughter out to photograph a quilt the other day, and lets just say we got a lot of pictures of her wrapped in the quilt.... not so many of the thing being held up! I absolutely love your quilt- it's gorgeous. And I love the idea of a little sass in the binding- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - I love that story. My grandson had to be surgically removed from the photography session a couple of times....

      Sass in quilting is necessary...

      Delete
  3. That's a fantastic quilt and I love the quilting on it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is absolutely fantastic and all that beautiful quilting! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's truly a labor of love.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! Love the design and the quilting, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laney,

      Thanks so much! I wish I could quilt EVERY day!!

      Delete