Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Another one bites the dust!

these are tiny....

One more deadline... done, licked, off my plate!  (I've got a few more to go so I can't do any real celebrating just yet).  Modern Quilts Unlimited is running a challenge for 12 months with the theme:  Everything Old is New Again.  I love the opportunity to "modernize" a traditional block and look forward to the announcement each month.  The requirement is to create a 12.5" block using Michael Miller fabrics.  Check out the challenge here:  Modern Quilts Unlimited Magazine



So, first I had to search my stash.  My WONDERFUL husband was incredibly sweet and installed built in shelving for me.  Unfortunately, he's not quite finished so I've double stacked my fabric until those are available.  So with a GPS, and a packed lunch, I started the search.

Before the shelving.




Shelving installed and stuffed.  I am a HUGE Kaffe Fassett fan, in addition to Allison Glass, Tula Pink, and Jane Sassman.   Jane is hidden behind Tula and Allison until more shelving is available.  All the other fabric is tons of gorgeous stuff by everybody....
Note to self:  stop obsessively removing the selvage for creating "selvage fabric".  I unfolded probably 100 folded pieces to find...NO CLUE WHO MADE THE FABRIC!!!  And that fantasy about making a fabulous quilt with all that selvage is not materializing anytime soon as there is no deadline associated with it...  And we all know - I must have a deadline to get really creative....

So I found a great group of Michael Miller fabrics to use: lots of color choices in Ta Dots, some Cotton Couture for solids, and Flock for a nice focal fabric.  The challenge this month was do something with the Card Trick block.  I kept thinking about it and finally decided that (at least this month...) the word "modern" is related a little to the word "hipster.".. Word association took me from hipster to .....Portlandia.  Hilarious TV show mocking all sorts of things but hipsters are squarely in their site.  There's a particular sketch where a hipster couple decides to make anything modern or artsy... put a bird on it.  Thus, my design congealed in my mind and it was off to the coal mine for me.



Splendid Fairywren - a great bird to put on anything...




The card trick block I made in the traditional manner but I added very small flying geese in a corner.  They are VERY tiny - coming in at 3/4 by 1.5 inches finished.  This is totally unsolicited but if you aren't using a Block_Loc ruler for flying geese - you don't know what you're missing.  They are amazing.  There's no way (because I don't like things too tedious) I would have made accurate flying geese of that size on my own.    Find  Block_Loc Rulers  here.










And here's my finished project.  If you like it - please vote for it here:Modern Quilts Unlimited voting area



Have a great Monday!!!

























8 comments:

  1. What a cool idea with shelves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- my sewing room has no closets. I built out our basement in the last house and my sewing room was full of closets. It's really hard to go from abundance to zip.... So he looked around and figured out he could install these. They are 14 inches deep- plenty of space! I'm going to get 6 more of them. And they will be filled immediately....

      Delete
  2. Just add a bird! I love it! And, "with a GPS and a packed lunch I began my search!" So funny! I really think your block is wonderful. And I am thinking a bloc loc or two may be unavoidable in my near future, as they have been edging in on my radar more and more frequently.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Those Block_Loc's are pricey but they really are outstanding for creating very accurate blocks. I have a HST ruler and 4 sizes in the flying geese ruler. The HST ruler accommodates different size blocks but the geese are specific. For me, they were worth the investment.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! I really like the bright colors and those itsy bitsy flying geese. What if you wrote down what the fabric was on some paper and pinned it to the fabric when you take the selvage off? Then you could have the best of both worlds. ;) Love your built in shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea Rachel - thanks. I really need to do that on my solid fabrics. I can't tell my Kona from Michael Miller Couture from American Made Brand....

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting from Let's Bee Social. This block is very pretty. I love it. Nice shelves and stash you have.

    ReplyDelete