Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Urban planning: paving roads and installing landscaping


I'm being featured on Midweek Makers!!  Check Susan's blog out!



It's on the machine... quilting is under way.  I worked two elements so far - the major thoroughfare and the green space in the top quadrant.  I like it so far.



Well, I like except where I quilted the building - that part will get unsewn.   Not loving how that worked out but I have another idea and I'll work on that tonight.  My "unsewing" will be more beautifully worked now.  I have a new tool...


Doesn't this make my hand look luxurious?




I picked this beauty up at the MidAtlantic Quilt Fest in Hampton, Va., this weekend  (on IG look for #MAQF or #midatlanticquiltfest for some GREAT photos).  I LOVE it.  The seam ripper or stiletto pops in and out.  The show was nice - I had two quilts hanging in the Modern Quilt Exhibit:



Facebook pose...


My buddies were taunting me about not touching the quilt.  It's mine... I'll lick if I want...  I was a little afraid one of the white gloved quilt police was going to bum rush me and knock me to the ground...



My dear friend Mary Menzer aka Fairly Merry, also had three quilts hanging on won a ribbon!!

This quilt DOES NOT photograph well...  It's GORGEOUS but the lighting and background washed it out here.  Different Drummer

Forgive this older photo of this quilt....  This is Quilt it Wright.  It won the ribbon - go to her website and read the story about this quilt.  It's incredibly interesting.  And - the quilt has such depth of color - I'm afraid I didn't capture it here either...

Have you been to any good shows lately?

Check out the Linky Parties on my side bar.  There are SO many good quilts in progress out there!  I'm also linking up to :







11 comments:

  1. your urban planning quilt is amazing! it reminds me of a playmat my mother made for my brother's matchbox cars ages ago. only this is too nice to run cars over. such precision and amazing colors! love it.

    lick that quilt, i dare you! haha. so funny. but getting tackled by the white gloves might not have been as fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah - yes....I find it hard to pass on a dare. I looked around just in case the white glove police were near... I think you nailed the description - it does look like one of those mats!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! You're showing some gorgeous quilts! Urban Planning is unbelievable. I can't see why the unsewing is necessary, but at least you have the fancy-schmancy tool!

    I have been to a great show recently...the NLQGA Show in Monroe, LA, was just last weekend. Of course, I loved every moment! One of the quilt police gave our granddaughter (6 year old) a white glove. She was in heaven. (And I got to enjoy the show much more.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love that tool. There is no possibility of using two at the same time...but I would so love to get another in a different color... this is a hoarding habit I don't need to start...the fabric is enough!

      That was so smart of the quilt police! It's hard enough for us to "remember" not to touch the quilts (sometimes you just WANT to see the back...) and it's nearly impossible for a child to keep from touching. I'm glad you got a nice visit with some quilts. It's so inspiring to look at what possibilities are out there. Have you ever had the opportunity to go to the Houston show? I've been ....and it's OVERWHELMING. It's fantastic but ....I just wasn't prepared the first time I ever went. So much quilt stimulation!!!

      Delete
  3. It look like you were triple dog dared to lick the quilt. I bet the quilt police wouldn't know what to make of you. You'll know they sighted your mischief if the signs at the next show say "Do not touch or lick the quilts." That'd be hilarious. Your entries were great, and I'm loving the design of the quilt you're quilting. What a pretty new notion you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...yes they did.... Triple Dog!! I am sure the lady I spied in the vicinity would have yelled...and then fainted. First, my quilt was crazy enough (she was 100% traditional quilter, as she informed us) to make her eyes bleed.... and second, I'm sure she would not have been prepared for ....that kind of touching. Thanks!!
      and....the Mancuso's (who put the show on) have a great sense of humor. That photo got posted on Instagram and they jokingly replied they were going to "update" the rules. I'm their fan forever now...

      Delete
  4. What a cool seam ripper. It might just decrease the pain of having to unsew something...Your quilts are beautiful. I would love to see a better picture of Different Drummer. It looks great to me as is, so it must be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that seam ripper. I've had the very common variety all my sewing life...so finding a super cool version ...well I just had to have it. Thanks for your kind words. Here's a link to Mary's Instagram account - you can see Different Drummer in a better photo (although....it's made with tons of Oakshott fabrics and they have a sheen like no other cotton...and the photos DON'T capture that...such a shame), plus she's super talented and has lots of other great quilts, too. https://www.instagram.com/fairlymerry/

      Delete
  5. Ha! Yes it's your quilt but it would have been oh so funny if a white glover had turned the corner just then...I bet the look on her face would have been something to see! I saw that you were featured and you should be proud. This quilt is really something. Love how the quilting is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I think the quilt police woman would have fainted.... I am loving the progress, too.

      Delete
  6. Love the quilting on Urban Planning, especially on the green. It looks like an aerial view of trees.
    The exhibition quilts are all gorgeous, and I know exactly what you mean about the sheen on Oakshott fabrics - it is impossible to convey on a photograph.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete