Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tulip Fields and the point of no return...

 And for today's journey we head to Lisse in south Holland to visit the magnificent tulip fields.  Every year from March to May, the bulbs erupt into masses of gorgeous color.  Not only tulips but daffodils, hyacinth, and other colorful bulbs.  I imagine it's a similar breathtaking experience of seeing the Cherry Blossoms on their peak day in our nation's Capitol.



I wanted to make something abstract and modern and found inspiration in this Daily Overview - Tulip fields shot.  

It's stunning.  The author of the IG account says that the fields remind him of one of his favorite artists, Piet Mondrian, a Dutch painter.  You can find his story here  Piet Mondrian.  This particular piece of art must surely have been influenced by the beautiful grid work of those bulbs of spring.


So starting the endeavor was easy.  Grab fabric, start cutting.  I tried mapping this out on my graph paper but it didn't seem to feel right doing it that way this time.  I felt that while this needed some accuracy in lines and grids, it needed a little improv in the mix.

Don't you hate pulling these collections apart...  It's like breaking the seal on a box of chocolates...

I felt like Houdini...I whipped that table cloth right out from under that set of priceless china!




And then there was the cutting and sewing and cutting and sewing....
Lots of tiny scraps after this project.  The straight lines don't create awful waste like fussy cutting shapes.

Of course, no project is complete without some unsewing.  (Please note my luxurious and fabulous seam ripper, again, which makes the unpleasant task a little easier to bear...)

    

 I had to do a lot of referring back to photos.  There are countless examples on Google images or IG (#tulipfields).

I decided making the fields in blocks and then sewing those together made more sense.  It went from here:



Then onto here:



And the point of no return I referenced...It's when you make a huge design decision and you need to make that fateful cut.  That cut ...knowing you have no more of that special Oakshott fabric color left...so once you make that cut...it's a wrap...


To here and here and here:

Too large of a field in the corner

Better...but not quite right yet...


And then finally...I was happy.

Quilting starts in a few days.  I'll probably do another face binding on this so there is no other border to add.  I'm very happy with the end result!

Have you ever been lucky enough to see these in person?  Been the Cherry Festival in Washington, D.C.?  Or the Azalea Festival in Wilmington, NC?  Or the Rose Festival in Tyler, TX?  I'm an East Coast girl...unsure of any flower festivals past TX....  What's out there?

I've got some great linky parties on my sidebar - I'll be linking all week.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!
























13 comments:

  1. What a fantastic job you have done from a beautiful inspiration piece! Wow!! I haven't been to any of the festivals or events of that type. I always wanted to see the Iris gardens when they bloomed when I lived in CA, but never made it there in time. The closest I'd get was when I'd travel from the bay area to the central valley to visit family and I'd pass through Gilroy and Hollister areas. When spring would come I'd get to see the flower fields and they were just gorgeous. I can't imagine the beauty from much bigger gardens, but I'm sure it would be stunning.

    Well done on your quilt art piece. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I got to see the Cherry blossoms and they simply take your breath away. I went several years but only one year managed to make it on peak day. They were all in perfect bloom. The pale pink color was everywhere. I loved it. Iris's are beautiful, too. You'll have to look around your area - maybe there's something to see?

      Delete
  2. What wonderful inspiration for your quilt! There is a tulip festival in Holland, MI. I've never been to it, but have been to the town. When we lived in TN there was a Dogwood Trail that took you through neighborhoods with lovely Dogwood trees blooming. We loved driving the trail every spring! And one last favorite - Chimney's Picnic Area trail in the Smokies. Love all the wildflowers blooming there in spring. The undergrowth of the forest is covered in Spring Beauties, Dutchman's Breeches, to name just a few flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I love hearing about all of these flower trails. We have so many wonderful places to visit in the USA but it's hard to find them (unless you have a clue about them...then Google is your man...

      Delete
  3. I saw that picture on IG and was thinking the same thing! Yours looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally caught my inspiration fancy. I had to do it.

      Delete
  4. p.s. I love the quilt on your opening blog page, the one with the light blue back ground and raggy patches. Do you have a blog post for that quilt? I'd love to see more pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't - I made that one last year when I was still working (and incapable of maintaining a blog and everything else...something had to give...) but I'll post something this week about it. It's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. I saw that picture on IG, and was fascinated that there was so much color from so far away. My mom didn't believe those were tulip fields. Terrific interpretation! Thanks again for linking up at Midweek Makers!
    Susan @ quiltfabrication

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I know - you just can't believe these are flowers that we're seeing. I have a good friend who lived in Belgium as a young girl and she and her family visited those very fields. Her mom was telling me all about them and she said they were stunning. Also - they are growing tulips for the bulbs....so you could buy (way back when...) dozens of cut tulips for a few dollars.

      Delete
  6. Your blocks are beautiful! Tulips are my favorite flower. :)
    I've been too the Azalea Festival in Wilmington, NC and the Tulip Festival in Holland, MI..although it's been years since I've been to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I love tulips, as well, and have made some fused tulip mini quilts. I liked this approach because i've been trying to stretch my "improv" wings and it worked so well in that genre.

      Delete