Monday, February 15, 2016

I love LOBSTAH!

So here's my latest project.  I wanted to create something modern looking and using three colors.  I'm in this quilt gang... the Quilt Sluts (southern ladies under tremendous stress) and each year we meet for a week at the ocean.  We have a theme (Mardi Gras this year) and some quilty challenges.  




The Paint Chip Challenge is what I'm focused on right now.  One of us went to the local big box hardware store  and nabbed a boat load of paint chip samples. At our monthly soiree, a ceremonial paper bag was passed around and each person pulled 3 chips out.  You could toss one chip and reselect - but then you had to live with that choice.  I was INCREDIBLY lucky...I got turquoise, aqua, and orange.  They have no idea the creature of creativity they unleashed....
This is the back side of the lobster - he still has the fusible web silicone sheet attached.

I had to let the ideas and colors simmer for a couple of months and just as I suspected.... the inspiration was found!  Some random thing I saw made me think - Orange +Lobster.  And then of course, the blues took care of water.  

I drew out the lobster on paper (many, many times) and then transferred that onto clear plastic.  I picked up an old school projector many years ago (quilting tools come from many sources) so then I projected that onto my wall.  I was able to enlarge it to a size I thought I'd like (he's about 36 inches tall).  

From there I sewed 1.5 inch strips of orange fabric and recut and resewed.  I wound up with gorgeous tiny little squares of scrappy orange fabric to use for my lobster.

After that...I struggled with how to create a background that wouldn't be terribly distracting.  Even though I wound up making 4.5 inch HST's, I think it doesn't read too busy.  I added the strips of solid to the side and bottom to create a more modern look.


I've only got him pinned on right now but I've got fusible web on the orange so I"ll fuse all of that down next.  I think I have my quilting design in my head...but I am a pretty organic quilter so that may all change by the time the needle hits the fabric.  Hoping to start quilting in a day or two...  

And for the record, how do you pronounce lobster?  I'm from the south - so "lob - stir" is how I say it.

Linking up with several fabulous Linky parties  - check them all out!  Here are some of the quilts in progress I loved this week:

Valentine quilt with no name

Gooseberry Secret Garden

Rowing along

No more bunny ears

Maryse Makes Things

Quilty Habit



25 comments:

  1. This is so fun! I'm a midwesterner so I say lob-stir too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really interesting to see how different that word is pronounced across the country.
      thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a great quilt, and your group sounds like it would be so fun! I love the way you made your lob-stir so big - it's going to look fabulous on your quilt. Thanks so much for sharing on MCM! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with the quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great inspiration came your way for the colors you chose! I like the size of your triangle squares and the lobster (pronounced lob stir in Ohio) will look great.
    Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I felt like the HST needed to be visible but not overwhelming. I'm working on the back now and then quilting soon. I'm excited to quilt this one.

      Delete
  4. You sure did get lucky with your paint chip pull. These colours look great together! But what is really impressive is what you came up with for the design. Your scrappy lobster is such a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I won the lottery with the colors. I think it takes time to let them "speak" to you. I'm sure if I'd jumped right in back when we pulled the colors (back in October) this would be a very different quilt.

      ps...my maiden name is McMahon. All of my dad's family hails from upstate NY. Are we related??

      Delete
  5. Great lobster but I have a question. I get the fusible web backing, but not sure about the silicone. Are the pieces held in place somehow, with the correct spacing and everything? I think I'm missing something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....this is what happens when you don't explain (and just assume everyone knows what you're doing). You're probably not missing anything. I used a fusible web that has a paper backing (which contains silicone which is why it releases). After I put all the orange together into one big piece of fabric basically, I laid my fusible web on it (which had my drawings on the paper) and ironed it on. I cut it out after but didn't remove the paper. When I placed it on the quilt - I just used pins to hold it on. I'll iron on the orange permanently to the blue. I'm going to sew around each piece to ensure it holds well. I am a fan of raw edge machine appliqué so I won't be satin stitching or even just zig zagging around the edges - just a nice tight straight stitch. I'll share photos of the progress so check back to see how it goes.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Congratulations on this wonderful project! Love the blues in the top and the lobster found a perfct place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I moved him around a bit before I settled on that spot.

      Delete
  7. I pronounce it "Lob Stir" too. Love this quilt! You are super creative. And the name of your group gave me quite the chuckle. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My quilt gang is a pretty funny group. We've been sewing together since the 90's. Much like the Rolling Stones and the energizer bunny, we just keep going and going... Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I pronounce it "lob-stir" just like you do. (I'm also from the South.) My problem is that I can't afford to pronounce it very often when it counts--as in when we're in restaurants.
    I have an old school overhead projector from my days in the classroom. Louisiana has not always been the most giving of states, especially in education. So I saved pennies and bought my own. It lives in the studio, and I use it quite often. Your lob-stir is quite fancy and looks great on those paint chip colors.
    P.S. He'd be a giant crawfish where I come from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah - I know where you live. My mother and sisters live in LA and I have partaken of the little mud bugs. They're tasty!. I need to make my younger sister a quilt with the fleur de lis on it. While I live in VA now, I hail from SC and love to splash the SC flag logo all over everything (it's the palmetto tree with the crescent moon). She loves the fleur de lis like that, too.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous quilt top. I had to say lobster out loud several times but I think my Nova Scotia accent has faded. LOBster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny - my friend did the same thing. You need to listen to yourself to get the phonetics out of it.

      Delete
  10. What a great design resulting from the paint chip challenge! Love the lobster (and I pronounce it like you do)! Thanks for sharing it on Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts. Couldn't resist visiting/following you after that tease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been very fun seeing (and then pronouncing it their way) how everyone says it. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful quilt! I am from Boston, and we say LOB STA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love to hear those Boston accents! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. It sounds like you belong with a fun group of quilters. What a great way to run an annual retreat.

    The lob-stir quilt is stunning. I love how you've interpreted your paint chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I run with a crazy crowd. We definitely amuse ourselves... Thanks so much!

      Delete
  13. I'm from the midwest and I pronounce my Rs. Love your lobster--all the drafts paid off with one good looking lobster. And I agree, the background provides interest without detracting. Claire aka knitnkwilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete