Monday, June 6, 2016

Flying high!!

Busy busy busy....but not all sewing things.  So what I have managed to squeeze in lately has been some really satisfying projects.

1.  I love the beach.  Grew up on the coast of South Carolina - and I just love the beach.  So as soon as it warms up just enough...you'll find me there regularly.

Here's a photo of my daughter who joined me on a beach walk recently:


And here's the quilt this photo inspired:

I used a modern approach to the design and used quilting to complete the vibe.  I was very pleased with the result.  I'll be entering this in a contest soon.  They are looking for things that represent the Hampton Roads area and it's hosted by our Virginia Beach Library system (I think - I need to read the details on all of that...).

2.  My daughters and I are major dumpster divers/ thrift store junkies  fans of vintage, gently used items.  Ok, truth be told - we're obsessed with haunting the Goodwills and thrift stores.  We've scored MAJOR lately with none other than a Singer 99K and a Bernette 440.  Each was $45.  I nearly peed my pants.  Of course, my dear husband is not convinced I need more than one sewing machine....but he's just crazy like that.  The Singer is in BEAUTIFUL condition and the Bernette looked equally as cared for.  My youngest daughter will be learning to sew on the Bernette.  It's perfect to learn on.





Bernette 440.  It's so pretty...you need sunglasses to view it.





Singer 99K.  Am a I a lucky girl or what!!



3.   Our lovely niece and nephew had an adorable son recently.  The theme for his nursery is red, white, and blue and airplanes.  Here's my present for her, step by step...
I paper pieced the plane, flying geese, and NY Beauty blocks



step one: the center





Then comes the flying geese


Add some 4 patch blocks for interest


And finish off with NY Beauties

Glamour shot

So that's all I've got this week.  Enjoy quilting and the summer sun!!  What are you up to right now?
Check out the link parties in my side bar.  There are so many wonderful inspirational quilts and projects!!







16 comments:

  1. What a great quilt! You did very well tying everything together for this little guy - he's very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I've missed quilting between house to-do lists and summer planting, etc. I need to get back to my machine!!

      Delete
  2. The airplane quilt is adorable and the baby will love the bright colors. Thanks for sharing your process on how it came together! You really scored with your new machines - lucky lady! And no, one can never have too many sewing machines. Just explain to your hubby it's like having more than one screwdriver, or hammer, or drill..... LOL

    Thanks for linking to Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach improve quilt turned out beautifully, good luck with the contest entry. Very fun baby quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so satisfying to make something and get it completely finished.... Thanks Kate!

      Delete
  4. What a great vintage score! Hubby's just don't always understand our obsessions with collecting all things sewing/quilting - my husband can't commment, he has a very eclectic collection of 'necessary items' in the garage LOL! I love your beach-photo quilt, it really hits the mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. My husband has a LOVELY collection of woodworking tools of which I gently reminded him. Hehehehe.

      Delete
  5. Wow that airplane quilt is so beautiful - not just the airplane, but all the extra you added to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shasta,

      Many thanks on your compliment. I enjoyed creating the design.

      Delete
  6. Your green vintage sewing machine is actually a Singer 185, which is a 99 in a new dress. Both models are fun to use and will sew through almost anything. Enjoy using both machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis,

      I did not know that about the 185. I am looking forward to making a place for it in my sewing room so I really can enjoy using it.

      Delete
  7. I love both of those finishes. Thank you for sharing your process on the adorable airplane quilt. Thanks for linking up with me for TGIFF! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a seriously cute quilt!! I love the corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn,

      Thank you!. I wanted something splashy for the corners - I thought those NY Beauties worked well.

      Delete